Monday, 10 September 2012

Reality!

...sitting here, not quite knowing what to write.

Friday Jason and I had a "group" information session at Credit Valley.  We were there for 1:45 and made our way to the class room.  We walked in and there were two other couples there.  Both couples were easily in their 70's.  As the rest of the attendees arrived, I noticed that I was the youngest member.  I know cancer doesn't discriminate against age, gender or race but to see that I was the youngest really made this all reality. 

First off, the clinical nurse presented the side effects, when to go to emergency and how her team will be able to support us.  Second, the nutritionist came in to speak to us about the obvious but also to tell us how to avoid some of the side effects or at least minimize them through nutrition.  Third, the social worker spoke to us about our feelings, what we might be feeling as we go though this journey, and how her team can help the patient, our caregiver and our family.  Forth, the pharmacist spoke to us about the toxic drugs that will be injected as well as the maintenance drugs.  Finally, the social worker took us all to the Chemo unit.  They have four pods that contain up to 20 reclining chairs.

Walking into the Chemo unit was quite an eye opener.  I guess I could say that it made everything so realistic.  Seeing all the patients that were receiving their treatments and watching them with their families.  Knowing that all these people are sick and fighting so hard to live.  I am one of those patients.

Tomorrow, I have my heart scan.

Be strong, be positive and please pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment