Thursday, 31 January 2013

Sick And Tired of Being Sick And Tired!!!

Sorry it's been so long since I have written anything.  I have had a rough couple of weeks and every time I thought, "I have to update my blog tomorrow", tomorrow would come and I would still feel crappy!  So, that is why I haven't written.

My last entry was letting everyone know that I had to go to emergency because of a high fever.  I have been fighting something ever since!  I have had a high fever on an off for the past week, chills, headache, bloody nose, body aches, racing heart beat, then I developed this cough that doesn't produce anything, it's just there.  I've also been having shortness of breath and wake up numerous times a night gasping for a breath.  I have been feeling just so crappy it sucks!

Last Friday was day 13 after receiving the Neulasta shot and the pain hit me.  Obviously the Claritin and the change up with my steroids didn't help but only prolonged the side effects of the Neulasta.  I woke early Friday morning and once again, my legs and feet felt like they were going to explode!  It is the most excruciating pain...I can't even describe it to you...other than this, think of your bones breaking and slowly trying to pierce your skin...it's just terrible.  Jason gave me two Morphine pills and they were not working at all.  So, Jason texted his brother to see if he could give me a third Morphine....Scott said it was ok so I was given the third Morphine.  After about an hour, the effects from the pills hit me....I basically slept for the entire day!  I woke with a cramping pain in my left leg...you know that feeling when you are getting a muscle spasm in your foot and your toes separate and pain radiates in the arch of your foot?....that was what I was feeling and my foot was warm to the touch and swelling.  I think it spasmed during the pain but I didn't realize it!  To top it all off, my sister arrived on the Thursday night for the weekend, and she had to see me in that pain.  I am sure it scared the shit out of her...in fact, I know it did!  Poor Britt, not something I wanted her to witness!

Since then, I have been in emergency twice, gone through numerous tests (CT scans, X-rays, blood tests, urine tests, etc.)  Like I said earlier, it's been a rough couple of weeks.  So, I went to see my family doctor (hoping to bypass emergency) and he checked me over and "thinks" I am fighting a virus.  He prescribed antibiotics and pills for influenza.  He also ordered a chest x-ray and blood work.  After leaving his office, I went for my chest x-ray and was hoping to have my blood work done but the clinic was closed.  I went home and started my pills.  That night, my fever spiked at 102 and I was feeling worse.  Jason woke me up early yesterday and got the kids up too.  He fed the kids and got them ready for school and took them to the neighbors.  We left shortly after and headed to emergency at Credit Valley Hospital.  I am getting so tired of being sick!

Once we arrived at emergency, they fast tracked my chart and took me into the assessment room.  The doctor on call was awesome.  When he came in to see me, his first words were, "I think I know you better than you know yourself!  I just read your medical history and all your charts."  He then proceeded to tell me what he knew, starting from my diagnosis.  He was very thorough!  He ordered another chest x-ray to rule out Pneumonia, blood work to rule out Neutropenia and Blood clots.  My chest x-ray came back clear and my neutrophils (WBC) were high but the test he ran for blood clots, came back positive.  Cancer patients tend to have a higher risk of developing blood clots, especially after Chemo.  So, because the blood test came back positive, they now had to look for the clot.  He sent me for a CT of my lungs (the most common place for a clot) but they couldn't see anything.  It's very frustrating when you are feeling like crap and there is no explanation for it!  So, I guess I just have a really bad virus that I am fighting....and since my system is already so compromised, it's taking extra long and it's harder for me to get rid of it!  I see my oncologist tomorrow for my Herceptin infusion and if I am not feeling any better, I am going to ask her to admit me and run every test to figure out what I have!  I am not messing with this any more!!!

During all this, I did have my appointment with the Radiation team.  I met the technicians that would be administering my Radiation.  They were all great!  I also received my lovely tattoos, which will be the points the technicians will use each time to line me up with the radiation beam.  They have to ensure they are administering my radiation in the exact same area every day.  So, now that is complete and I start my treatments on February 11th.  I just hope I am feeling better before then! 

So, as you can see....I have had a crazy couple of weeks! 

Be positive, be strong and continue to pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment