So I was right...I'm really getting the hang of feeling out my symptoms and recognizing when something just isn't right with my body. You really start to "tune" into your body and what it is trying to tell you.
Monday I told all of you that I really was feeling rotten and knew that something wasn't right. Around 5pm I was feeling really terrible and felt like I had fever/chills. I had a shower and thought that might bring me around but it didn't. I took my temperature and had a fever of 99.7...which to most people is nothing but for someone going through Chemo, it can be very dangerous if you have a fever. Having a high fever, means that you are fighting an infection. Most people take Tylenol and drink lots of fluids to bring it down and within a few days, they are on the mend. Well, when I get a fever...yes I am fighting an infection but I can also become very sick and in most cases would end up in the hospital on antibiotics to try to fight what ever it is that I need to fight. Also, because my WBC are low (my good blood fighters for infection) any infection/sickness can become very serious, very quickly. I called Jason right away and he started home from work. Within 1/2 hour, my temperature was over 100 and getting higher and I was feeling worse. Jason arrived home and we took the kids to the neighbors and headed to the emergency room at Credit Valley Hospital. After 4.5 hours in emergency, a chest x-ray (to check for pneumonia), blood work and a urinalysis...the doctor told me that everything was clear but that I may be fighting an upper respiratory infection. They gave me some IV fluids and sent me on my way. Today, I am coming around. I have a bit of a cough so I know there was something there...but I am feeling better every day on my own (without additional drugs)!
So, yesterday was day 10!!! As you all know, I tried to change up a few things this go around with the Neulasta shot. I increased my water intake, but most importantly, started taking Claritin on Saturday. I do a lot of reading and on most Cancer websites, some people avoid severe bone pain when they take Claritin after the Neulasta or Neupogen shots. I had medium pain yesterday but nothing near what it was last time. I believe the Claritin worked for me! I didn't have to take any pain medication during the day...only at night to try to sleep a little better and potentially keep major side effects to a minimum! So, am I past the worst part of pain with this treatment...I certainly hope so! I rested all day today and I can tell that I am a little better than I was this morning. I think I am past the worst part. Today was my last day for Claritin so we will see what tomorrow brings! I am optimistic that it can only go up from here!!
Be positive, be strong and continue to pray for those people fighting the big C!
No comments:
Post a Comment