Tuesday, 26 August 2014

The Beginning Of A New Journey!!

A week ago, I arrived at the Women's College Hospital at 5:30am with a stomach full of butterflies and a lump in my throat.  We arrived too early to get into the underground parking so we sat parked on the street for 1/2 hour.  Jason fell asleep while I checked facebook and got caught up on the news.  The city seems so peaceful at that hour in the morning.  Almost too peaceful!!  I was jumping at every sound I heard and was sure I was going to throw up at some point.   Finally, at 6am, the doors to the underground parking opened and we proceeded to our parking destination for the day.

Upon arrival to the 8th floor, we quickly noticed that we were the only ones there.  The reception was in darkness and all was quiet.  Well that quickly changed!  Two more patients arrived with their spouses and the nurses arrived then reception.  I was the first to be called for registration and the nurse was waiting patiently for my hospital bands to be put on.  She quickly took me into get changed and ask me questions about the surgery and give me prep drugs.  She told me I could go back out to kiss Jason goodbye and then I needed to come back into the surgery area to be prepped.  OMG!!!  This was really happening!!!  I quickly gave Jason a kiss, told him that I loved him and began to cry.  What a flood of emotion!  I was so nervous and scared that I couldn't stop sobbing...and then my pills kicked in and I became somewhat "mellow".  Time for prep!!

Two nurses came out to the surgery waiting area (a second area after I left Jason) to get me ready.  They took me to the back area and quickly started an IV.  They explained that the anesthesiologist would be in to start the nerve block, Dr. Semple and Dr. Escallon would be in to "mark" me up and then I would be taken to surgery.  All the interns and doctors came in and out and the nurse told me she was going to put something in my IV that would make me feel like I had a good glass of wine.  I told her to give me 10! LOL  The anesthesiologist positioned the ultra sound machine on my side and chest and proceeded to inject me with the nerve block.  All I remember is saying "Ouch, Ouch, Ouch....and then I woke up in recovery!





My left breast was removed, I had two bumps on my chest and a very uncomfortable drain on my left side.  I was in minimal pain because of all the drugs and found it really hard to stay awake.  Jason finally came in to see me and told me that the surgery went better then Dr. Semple originally thought.  I didn't need the cadaver skin (which was a huge accomplishment) which made the surgery only about 2.5 hours.  After meeting all the discharge criteria, I was sent home around 4pm.

Be positive, be strong and continue to pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment