Sunday, 31 August 2014

A Week Of Healing!!

This post was written last week but I forgot to post! :)

Oh what a week!  I will say that this was not the easiest surgery!!

After returning home on Tuesday evening I was sore, irritable, and emotional.  I was high on drugs and tired from being poked.  I slept most of the night only waking for my pain meds and to use the washroom.  Jason is my hero...taking time off work to take care of me, waking up during the night to help me to the washroom, making sure I had my pain meds and antibiotics at the right intervals.  I honestly don't know what I would do without him!

As each day passed, I was feeling a bit better but still had my moments of emotion, pain, weakness, and feeling of being sick.  On Friday, I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Semple.  When I arrived at the hospital his secretary Leslie, came out to get me and she almost fell over when she saw me.  She said that she is so used to seeing a bubbly, outgoing, happy, talkative patient that seeing me sitting in a wheel chair, barely able to lift my head was a shock!  I felt like I had been hit by a truck...and I've been hit by a car before so I know what it feels like! ;)  Dr. Semple took me right away and calmly told me that I am doing amazing!  He has such a way of making you feel calm and reassured.  He is mild mannered and full of hope and comfort!  He told me I was going to be just fine and that my surgery went really well.  My left breast was removed and taken to pathology for careful examination to ensure there was no further cancer. (Results will be back in two weeks)  There were no complications at all with the surgery...in fact, it couldn't have gone smoother!  Exactly what I wanted to hear!!

The weekend was a bit better and I was seeing small improvements.  I could get up out of bed on my own, go to the bathroom on my own and sponge bath on my own.  My drain was starting to slow down (which is exciting to see) so I knew it would be coming out soon.  I still found that I needed to rest and took the opportunity to have small naps all weekend.  On Monday the nurse would be checking in on me and I knew that I would be getting my drain out.

When the nurse arrived on Monday, she cut my stitches surrounding my drain and carefully pulled it out.  Remembering what it was like two years ago, getting my drain out, I made sure I was drugged when she arrived.   Getting that drain out is a blessing but it is the most painful thing I have ever experienced...and I would say I have experienced some pretty crazy things! ;)  After the drain is removed, you almost feel free...like you are no longer held down.  I knew that a lot of my pain was coming from my drain so getting it out was a huge relief.  It also meant that I could shower!!!  Yay....oh the feeling of standing under a hot shower, pounding on your head, washing away all the filth...it's very therapeutic! :)

So today is another new day...showered, hair washed and feeling a bit better...small steps baby, small steps!

Thank you to everyone who sent emails, text messages, made phone calls to see how I was doing...you are all a wonderful part of my life and I feel so blessed! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment