My last post I noted how tired I was during the week and that I just couldn't seem to bounce back. Well my appointment yesterday explained why that was happening.
I went for my Chemo treatment yesterday at 8:30am. I had my blood work done and after waiting an hour for results the doctor told me I couldn't receive my Chemo because my Neutrophils were too low. Neutrophils are types of mature white blood cells which fight off infection. If I were to receive Chemo when these are low, I would get really sick and my body would take a lot longer to recover. I asked the nurse if it was something that I did and she said no but that I do have to rest more. I have been doing a lot lately! I have been mowing the lawn, running errands, cleaning the house and getting ready for Halloween. I did a lot of that my second week after my last Chemo. I was too tired last week to do much of anything, but I still did some running around and cleaning. The nurse told me I have to do NOTHING all week and they will check my counts again on Friday, November 9th. This totally sucks because it was a milestone for me! It was my third and final treatment of FEC (the type of Chemo that makes me really sick). I just want to stay on schedule and get this over with! This is another reason why I can't really see people because it could compromise my counts and then prolong my treatments. I just can't take that risk! So like I said, I am scheduled for treatment this Friday and hopefully my counts will be high enough to get it.
I met another mother at the hospital yesterday that has breast cancer too. She is 41 and has a 7 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. She found the lump a couple of months ago and when the doctor did an ultrasound and mammogram, the ultrasound showed something but the mammogram showed nothing. She was then sent for a biopsy and another ultrasound which concluded that she had a 3.5cm tumor that was cancer. The doctor wanted to do surgery right away but I think she was in denial. She was not happy with her doctor so decided to get another opinion. By the time she met with her current doctor, the tumor grew to 5.5cm. Now, they are doing Chemo first and then surgery. She doesn't know if she is HER2+ or hormone receptor +. I can't imagine not knowing the final diagnosis but knowing I had a fast growing tumor in my breast. I would want them to just cut it off! What a worry that would be! She is someone that is in a low risk category too. Breast cancer is not in her family history (just like me), she eats only organic and she is a fitness buff! It's scary that you can be so healthy and still get this disease. I said to Jason when we were driving home...you think you have it bad until you hear someone else's story! I can't imagine what she must be going through...the not knowing how big this thing is going to get before they remove it. So many things to worry about! I probably won't see her again because my treatments will be a week after hers. But I only hope the best for her and will pray for her every night!
Be strong, stay positive and please pray for me and Sue-Lynn!
No comments:
Post a Comment