So, the nurse was here two days ago and removed my bandages. I didn't write about it because I wasn't really sure how I felt about it. I asked her to cover over the wound again with bandages because I didn't want to have to look at it. Today with the heat and my sweating, the bandage is falling off and I can't help but look at the unsightly cut I have across my chest. It's so ugly and unimaginable!
When the nurse looked at it, she said it looked really good and I had a really good surgeon. He made a really straight line and the staples look so good and uniform. She said it will help with the reconstruction later. How can something so ugly look so good? I guess it just means that I wasn't butchered! So, in the grand scheme, I guess straight lines and uniform staples mean good things.
Will I ever get used to looking at it? Will I ever get used to the numbness that I feel in my arm and chest? I know that over time, these things will seem so small and trivial but right now, they mean a lot to me. One week ago today my physical being changed forever. My chest was cut open and I am left with a long line that is ugly. Ugly...NO! It is a symbol that shows strength, courage, fight...all the qualities that I now have.
When I was taken into the operating room last Friday I was scared, weak, and unsure of what my life would be like. Well, now I see what my life will be like! I am still scared but ready to fight the biggest fight of my life. Fight this beast that is Cancer and live for my children, my husband, my family and for me!!
No comments:
Post a Comment