Had my appointment today with my Oncologist...this was my follow up after finishing treatment. I am scheduled to meet with her every 15 weeks. Seems like a long time, especially when you have tons of questions all the time! LOL
I had my blood work done, met with my Oncologist and had my Herceptin. It was a long day at the hospital....I kind of forgot what a day at the hospital was like! :) My doctor was so happy to see me "looking so good!" She even rubbed my head for good luck! She said that I look better than most people at this point in their treatment. It was so nice to hear! She also told me the results from my heart scan last week. They were great! I guess all the cardio exercise I am doing is really helping! All in all, it was a great appointment!
I had a lot of questions for her and she told me to just go and live my life! Don't think about the cancer that I had, and don't be focused on what I should or shouldn't be doing! I told her that I am hearing all kinds of different things from other cancer patients...like, eliminate hormone injected foods, eliminate parabens (such as deodorant)...stay away from sugar....she told me to stop listing to other people and just live my life....enjoy my life! Those were the best words I have ever heard! She also said that I am well beyond my way to health and that I am doing awesome!! I love it!!!
Before I met with the doctor, I had 1.5 hours to kill. Instead of going across the road to the mall and doing a little shopping, I chose to stay at the hospital and play games on my phone. While sitting engrossed in my game of sudoku, I noticed an elderly lady looking in my direction. I thought, "oh no...hope this isn't someone that is going to sit there for the next hour giving me the sympathetic eye!" Then she got up and started walking towards me and proceeded to sit down next to me. We ended up talking for over an hour! What a fabulous lady! She immigrated from Germany many years ago at 18. She was diagnosed with liver cancer and had a tumor that was wrapped around one of her arteries. She has been going through chemo since last year and her tumor had shrunk but then started to grow again. She was getting a progress report today.
We chatted like she was my grandmother and I her daughter! We laughed, teared up, and shared our stories. She said to me "I just had to come over here to talk to you...you are so beautiful, your skin is so radiant, your hair is beautiful and thick." She said that she told her husband, "there is something about that young girl that I just need to talk to her...she looks so friendly and happy!" Funny, when she first came over to me she asked me where I got my hair done...I told her it was compliments of Credit Valley Hospital! LOL She thought I was waiting for someone...she said I didn't look like someone going through cancer...I look the picture of health! WOW....that is totally awesome...because I did go through cancer and I am healthy now...I guess it shows! :)
Anywho....it pays to take a moment to sit and relax...you never know who you might meet! Oh and her name is Segrite (Sp?) pronounced Secret! Totally love her...before I left the hospital I popped in to see her getting chemo and she told me her progress report was good...the tumor shrunk again! Yay for my friend Secret...73 years young and a little trooper!
Next appointment is June 6th for my Herceptin.
Be positive, be strong and please pray for my new friend Secret...I know that's not how you spell it...but that's how you say it! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment