Friday, 14 December 2012

Visits From Home!

Feeling much better this week!  Still weak and tired but I can feel that with everyday I get a little bit better! 

I just can't believe that I only have two treatments left!  It seems so crazy!  To think that 6 months ago, I would be in this place, is beyond what I would have ever envisioned.  Living my life like everyone else...working, taking my kids to programs, going out with friends...now, I sit on my ass, my kids aren't in any programs and I can't go out with my friends!  Funny how life can change in an instant!  Never take for granted what you have, for it can be taken from you before you know it!

This week, like I said, has been much better than last week.  My mother's husband (I don't call him my step father because he never had to be a "father" to me) was here for the weekend (while I was in the hospital) and left for home on Monday.  The boys had such a great time with him!  We had some good talks and I think overall, it was something we all needed.  He was such a great support for us...I don't think he even realizes how much he helped out...just to be here for the boys so that Jason could be with me in the hospital, made a world of difference.  I just worry about Allan over the Christmas season.  He loved Mom so much and is so lonely without her....as we all are.  This Christmas is going to be a tough one for all of us!  We have all lost so much this year. 

My in-laws arrived on Wednesday and are here until into January.  They are scheduled to fly out on the 8th of January but since my last treatment date is scheduled for January 11, they may decide to extend their visit a few days.  They are such a big help...although my mother-in-law has a terrible cough that we are concerned she will pass to me!  We are both wearing masks and washing our hands frantically to make sure nothing gets passed to me.  Don't want to delay any treatments! 

Had an appointment on Wednesday with my Radiation Oncologist.  He went over the procedures of radiation and what to expect.  I am scheduled for January 28 to get my "tattoo" (which they refer to as mapping) and a CT scan.  They will get me ready to begin radiation on February 11 (4 weeks after I finish Chemo).  I will have 25 treatments of radiation on both my chest wall as well as under my arm pit.  He went over the risks, side effects (which are minimal compared to what I am experiencing now) and took me on a tour of the area where I will be getting the radiation everyday for 5 weeks!  Again, I can't believe I am getting ready for this next step...seems like it would take forever to get here...but now, it seems like it all passed in a blur...except for the side effects! LOL  The area where I will be going is beautiful!  Each "radiation pod" has an individual waiting area with lockers, a fireplace, lounge area and TV.  I will have my own area each time I go...nothing like style!  I think once radiation starts, I will have to enlist some of my friends to take me down and sit with me.  Each appointment should only be 1.5 to 2 hours.  I just figure that poor Jason can't take everyday off to come with me and one of the side effects is exhaustion so I may be tired to go by myself.  They say the exhaustion doesn't hit you until about week 3 so I guess I will have to rest up for the first two!  Any whooooo....that is what I have been up to this week! 

Looking forward to Christmas and 2013!!

Be strong, be positive and pray for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment