***WARNING PICTURES***
It's the final countdown...dun, na, na, na!!
Yesterday I had my special chariot waiting for me at my front door! Miss Vera picked me up for my appointment with Dr. Semple. We had a lovely adventure downtown! Thank you Miss Vera...love you to bits!! This journey is coming to an end and I can certainly see the light! It's shining bright and full of wonderful things!
We arrived for my 12:45pm appointment a little early but it took a bit of time to register. The hospital just put in a new computer system and they needed to ask me my life story! It's a long story...full of ups and downs! ;) Miss Vera and I had a little bit of time to sit and chat, which was nice. Then I was called in for my appointment. I knew going into this one, that it might be my last but I never prepared myself for how I would feel when I was told that.
Dr. Semple came in to see me with his team. Dr. Coyte, his intern and Dr. Katie, his research assistant. Dr. Semple is an amazing doctor who is constantly trying to make health care easier for patients. He is always lending his experience and advice to research projects and he asked me to be part of this next study, which I immediately obliged!! Anything to help someone else going through this journey!! Dr. Katie would explain the study to me and have me sign a consent form. But before we get to that, you need to know about my appointment with Dr. Semple!
He had a look at my chest and told me that everything looks awesome! He answered all of my questions...would I have cleavage? My breast bone or Sternum is quite wide so it will be hard to get a lot of cleavage but with a good bra, I will be able to get a little. Also, when I have my surgery, Dr. Semple will release some of the skin around my Sternum which will possibly add some contouring. Nipple reconstruction...will I do it during this surgery or wait? Well, he doesn't recommend me having nipple reconstruction because patients who went through radiation, they typically have complications on the radiated side when nipple reconstruction is attempted. So, I opt not to do this procedure. Dr. Semple is going to send me to "the best" tattoo artist who will tattoo a 3D nipple on each breast. I teased with him that I didn't want to be sent down some back ally for this...he kept the joke going for a bit! Such a funny guy! What about the blood vessels on my radiated breast...can we get rid of them? I can see someone that will do laser on the area but once again, because of the radiation damage, the laser might damage my skin more so he suggestions that I don't get that done. He did say that over time, the benefits from the fat transfer could eliminate some of the blood vessels. How do the implants compare in size to the expanders? Well, typically they are very similar and can be a bit bigger or smaller. He will order three different sizes of implants and during surgery, will test the implants to see which one will give me the most natural results. Typically, he tends to go bigger, if he can. Recovery time?....two to three weeks. Surgery timing....a month after last fill.
Once I was finished chatting with Dr. Semple and he approved me for one last fill, Helen came in to check me over. She decided that she was going to fill both sides. She was able to get 50cc's in both sides but both sides "burped" fluid out when she removed the needle. Therefore, it has been decided that yesterday was my last fill!! I have a total of 465cc's on the right (radiated) side and 505cc's on the left side. I can't even begin to tell you how overwhelmed I felt when they said I was finished. I actually teared up!! I am going to miss my team! They have been so supportive, compassionate, and understanding during this entire process. They have made me feel like I am a patient and not a number....no, that I am a friend and not a patient....know what I mean?
So, my surgery is scheduled for April 7th. They will do the exchange and I will be sent home the same day, as usual.
As for the study, Dr. Katie explained to me that it is a new patient study that will require the patient to take home a smart phone after surgery and will have direct contact with Dr. Semple. On a daily basis, for the first two weeks after surgery, you will send Dr. Semple updates on how you are feeling, what medications you have taken, pain levels, etc. as well as send him pictures of your incision sites. After the two weeks, you will update Dr. Semple once a week for two weeks. They are hoping to alleviate wait times for follow up appointments as well as save the patient time and money. I am excited to take part in this study and to hopefully help Dr. Semple prove that patients heal faster at home!!
Today I am in quite a bit of pain from the fill. Thank goodness it's my last one. I actually had to take some Oxycodin last night and this morning. I think this has been the worst one so far. I can definitely tell that my skin and body would not allow for another fill.
Stay positive, stay strong and continue to pray!!




No comments:
Post a Comment