**WARNING PICTURES**
I am healing slow and steady...and they always say that's what wins the race!!
I had my follow up appointment on Wednesday with my nurse, Helen. What a sweet heart of a lady! I really couldn't have asked for a better team going through this journey. Each and every person whom I have dealt with, has made me feel safe, informed, at ease and important. I was never just another patient or number in an endless flow of cancer victims. I only had one doctor that was a true ass and he was a plastic surgeon who only worked on "plastic patients"!!! My visit with him was extremely short and not very sweet! I guess I had to meet with him to really appreciate my plastic surgeon...who is compassionate, has empathy for each patient and treats you like you're family. He truly cares!!
Anywho....so, met with Helen and she removed my steri-strips to reveal my incisions! "Wow"...was what she said! "Wow"...in a good way :) One incision under my right breast, was barely visible. The meticulous closure of that incision by Dr. Semple was proof that he cared about the end result in this journey. My left breast was removed through my nipple (with the nipple being removed as well). The incision is across my breast area and is a little more visible but it still looks good! I was shocked when I looked in the mirror! Such precision and care by my surgeons makes this process all the more worth while. I don't feel like a butchered mess, which I know was weighing on my mind before the surgery.
Helen took the time to sit with me and answer my long list of questions. I was making a list over the previous two weeks and was hoping that she would have the time to answer all of them...and she did! Can I sleep on my side? Yes, when you are comfortable. My heart is racing and I feel short of breath, is this normal? Yes, you are of small stature and your chest is small. The expander is placed under your muscle and is taking up space that your body is not used to giving up. Do deep breathing exercises on a daily basis and make sure that you are opening up your chest by correcting your posture. Can I have MRI's, X-ray's and CT scans? Your expanders are titanium based and may alter the results of the MRI testing. Please make sure you check with the technicians before having the tests. My skin seems to be very dry, can I moisturize my chest area? Absolutely, you should be doing that during the entire process. Use a fragrance free moisturizer similar to what you used during your radiation treatments. When can I start exercising? You can start taking small walks but don't elevate your heart rate too much. It is very important that you don't lift anything over 5lbs and that you don't elevate your blood pressure. That means no heated discussions, no stress, no heavy lifting, no chores that could increase your heart rate. Sit back and let people do it for you until at least 6 weeks, then you can start slowly getting back into routine. So, for those of you who know me, you know I can't sit still for too long. I don't like asking for help and I think that I am super woman and can do anything! It has to be the hardest thing to do....slow down! ;)
The appointment was overall a very good appointment. Helen booked me in for next Wednesday, September 10 to meet with Dr. Semple and to have my first expander fill. Eeek!!! It's really happening!!
Pathology report is not back yet on the left breast. Results should be shortly.
I am positive, I am strong and I pray everyday for the blessed life I have!
Expanders were filled to 120cc's during surgery.



No comments:
Post a Comment