Jason and I sat in the hot tub tonight discussing the unfortunate events that have been happening to us and the people we love. It sounds a bit like a downer of a conversation but it really wasn't, it was more of an enlightening experience.
We were told today about someone close to us that was diagnosed with a brain tumor. They were given 6 months to a year to live. Six months with no Chemo and a year with aggressive Chemo. Both Jason and I reflected on how we would feel if we were given that news and how we would deal with it. Would you take the 6 months and live every day to the fullest or would you take the aggressive Chemo and hopefully live a year? That year would be miserable...you would be sick, weak and fighting for something that you know wasn't meant to be. What a terrible decision for someone to be faced with.
I know this sounds like a depressing blog, to be discussing death and decisions that some people have to make. But really, it's not. It made me think about my Mom and Dad and how much I miss them. It made me think about their deaths and how hard it was for me. I watched my Dad deteriorate, over a year, to 98lbs...he didn't eat, didn't drink and he couldn't talk. It was so hard to see that but I believe God was preparing me for his death. Because when Dad died, although it was hard, I also felt that it was a blessing because I couldn't stand seeing him suffer any longer. Losing Mom was totally different...quick and unexpected. I didn't get the chance to prepare myself for losing her. I think both were really hard to deal with but I was thankful that I had the time with Dad to say goodbye. Just wish I had more time with Mom...more time to prepare.
My parents were so loving, kind and beautiful. They loved each other like no other...they loved us like no other. Dad was the typical father...got up, went to work (he was self employed) and would come home and relax on the couch after dinner. He was always helping other people and loved when friends would come over for a visit and what was supposed to be a short visit, ended up being a kitchen party full of laughter, song and drink! Mom was a loving mother. I remember getting ready for school in the morning and always kissing her goodbye. When I would arrive home after school, I would run to the house to give her a kiss again. She taught me so much...I'm not sure if she realized how much I actually learned from her. How to bake, sew, paint, wallpaper and style hair! But most importantly, my parents taught me how to love, care for other people, and have strength to get through whatever I am faced with. I am honored to be their daughter!
So what started as a very deep and depressing conversation, turned into an evening of remembering all the wonderful things about my parents. I don't really sit and think about it, but I really should take the time to reminisce about them...it makes me smile :)
Live fully...the most important things in life cannot be seen but must be felt with the heart...be kind and generous...simplify.....have patience and compassion....be grateful for the gifts you've been given...challenge yourself....inspire someone....take the road less traveled....it's never too late!
I feel blessed, strong, proud and loved!

No comments:
Post a Comment